Friday, February 17, 2012

Statement on Nomination For Trustee Ballot

Last week I was informed by the director of the Penn State Board of Trustees Office that my name had been submitted as a Trustee candidate for Penn State’s Board. Although I have never declared a candidacy for the board, I received the required number of nominating votes to be placed on the ballot.

I would like to thank all the people who nominated me to serve Penn State, our students and alumni. Serving on Penn State’s Board is a most solemn responsibility. That many of you felt I would be worthy to play such a prominent role in Penn State’s future governance is an honor.

However, my recent employment at Penn State makes me ineligible to serve at this time. By-law Article 2 Paragraph 3 prevents anyone from serving for a period of three years after their last employment at the university.


ART. 2. QUALIFICATIONS FOR MEMBERSHIP ON THE BOARD OF TRUSTEES

(3) A person shall not be eligible to serve as a member of the Board of Trustees for a period of three (3)years from the July 1 coincident with or next following the date of last employment in any capacity by the University. This qualification for membership shall not apply to a person who is an ex officio member of the Board, nor to a person who is a student employed part-time by the University.



Although I can neither run nor serve, I look forward to staying engaged with Penn State. The nomination process continues now through February 25th. We encourage all Penn Staters to get involved in Penn State’s governance and in the Trustee election process. It is a vital role for alumni of this great institution and only by participation can we Make an Impact on our most beloved Alma Mater.