Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Closing Statement...for now

Statement for Today:


After talking with Coach Bill O’Brien we have reached the conclusion that I will not be a part of the Penn State football staff moving forward.

I will spend the next few weeks consulting with my wife and family to weigh various future options both inside and outside of football.

I thank the student-athletes that I’ve been privileged to coach over the past two decades at four schools. Hopefully my career has had an impact and helped you learn about life, and about the commitment and passion it takes to pursue personal excellence.

As for Penn Staters, I cannot even begin to express what your support has meant to me and my family over the past seventeen seasons and in particular the past two months. Through the tumult of the past several weeks, it has been your stalwart support combined with life lessons learned from Joe Paterno that has and continue to sustain us.

As a Penn Stater I am reminded of the words “Sing Our Love and Loyalty” from the Alma Mater. I wish the program the best of luck in carrying on the academic and athletic excellence that have been a hallmark of this university for decades.